"You will find that you will learn more from your children than ever they will learn from you."
- Pres. Boyd K. Packer
A few weeks ago, I had reason to ponder what each of my children represent to me. I was thinking of someone I know online and her blog, and how she had a one-word description of each child. What would I say for each of mine?
SlashDot is my patience. Like that quote above says, I have learned so much about patience from being his mom, more so than anything prior in my life. I told him the other day how grateful I am that he was willing to come to earth and let me be his mom, to let me learn that really important part of life through him.
(Slash in Paris, April 2012)
Pixel is my right arm (yes, I know that's two words :) ). If she were suddenly gone from my life, I would feel like I was missing something so essential to my everyday existence. She's my helper, my buddy, and in some ways my mini-me.
(Pixel at the community college's Astronomy Day, April 2012)
Anansi is my adventure. Because of what we went through with our first adoption attempt, everything related to Ghana has felt like one of those choose-your-own-adventure books, never knowing what's going to be on the next page. And, though I'm so grateful to report that life is a LOT calmer than it was six months ago, each day is still a little bit like one of those books, never quite knowing what the day will bring.
(Anansi in the Accra airport, February 2012)
Chewy is my sweetness. Compared with the others, there is a simplicity and a quietness about him most of the time. He was the easiest of the four babies. Bashful, introverted, gentle-except-when-unjustly-provoked.
(Chewy and I, papasan-nap, May 2012)
GoGirl is my fire. Sometimes that fire is warm and comforting, like when we read together at night and she asks me to stay with her until she falls asleep; sometimes it'll burn my eyebrows off if I get too close! She keeps me moving and on my toes.
(GoGirl at the homeschool co-op picnic, August 2012)
(a song for my loves)
So go on and dream
Bigger dreams than this town's ever seen before
There are just two kinds of people:
Ones who say you're just not able
And the ones who change the world
And you're gonna change the world
To me you are
Heaven's finest invention by far
Even brighter than the brightest star
And what I'd give to make you see
Who you are to me
...to me.
Bigger dreams than this town's ever seen before
There are just two kinds of people:
Ones who say you're just not able
And the ones who change the world
And you're gonna change the world
To me you are
Heaven's finest invention by far
Even brighter than the brightest star
And what I'd give to make you see
Who you are to me
...to me.


so sweet. like the idea. i kinda wanna think of one word for each of mine. and yes, i am LDS. that is why i was psyched to find you: not a lot of LDS international adopters out there. we are buddies. with our crazy, special needs bunches.
ReplyDeleteWell, very cool. :) I've found more than a few LDS adopters bc our first (horrible, failed, nightmarish) adoption was at an orphanage run by a (horrible, hypocritical-is-too-kind-a-word, abusive) LDS man, but in my IRL friend life I don't think I have any that are international adopters.
DeleteAnd we're both non-Utah LDS, which also makes us weird. :D And homeschoolers. Anything I'm forgetting? :p