Monday, October 15, 2012

Wanderlust

wanderlust [ˈwɒndəˌlʌst]
n
a great desire to travel and rove about
[German, literally: wander desire]

Have you ever been bitten by the travel bug?  No, not "Montezuma's Revenge" - but that almost insatiable desire to get out there and SEE things?  

It pulls on me.  .Com says the same for him.  We've been really blessed to see so many parts of the world; at last count, I think I've been to 17 different countries and quite a few of the lower 48 plus Hawaii.  I irritate the kids as we watch Amazing Race:  "I've been there!  I've been there too!"

 I want more.  

I read blogs like Annie Andre's  and The Dennings' (and hey, they're LDS too!  They also have five kids, one adopted!  They're living RIGHT NOW where .Com served his mission!) and lots more.  I think, "We could really do that, someday."

We're already living outside the box in many ways.  We homeschool, without formal curriculum, even.  We don't have a mortgage.  I don't think we're terribly materialistic.  We-the-Parents are fluent in a second language and use it regularly (well, I do, anyhow :) ).  We-the-Parents + Anansi have lived in places where the standard of living was far below what we are fortunate to enjoy now.  

Could we do some variation of it - someday?  Obviously there are a number of circumstances that would need to be in place before it would be anything more than a bucket list dream.  But, it's kept me up nights lately thinking that it could be more than just a dream at some point.  

Is this my midlife crisis?  *grin*


No comments:

Post a Comment